Home Security Blog.

I’ve been asked many times over the years, “Why can’t I install my security system?” I’d answer, “yes you can, but it does take some knowledge of electronics, electrical wiring and computers in most cases.” I got asked that question again just yesterday so I went digging into and looking at some of the security systems available to the general public.

Security companies buy their components from a wholesaler. These wholesale distributors do not sell to the public because most states require a state license to install security systems. More manufacturers are now offering their products directly to the public via the internet. My opinion is that you might spend more money having a professional install your system, but it’s the best option you have. What kind of a price tag would you put on protecting your family or business? So you must ask yourself, is it worth taking the chance on a “self installed” security system.

Be that as it may, YES you can install your own system. I did have a lot of fun looking up systems and companies on the internet. Let me state, I DO NOT recommend the average person to install their own system.

There is a website called, Home Security Store that gives a good place for the do it yourselfer. They give a lot of options in many catagories. Here again, I am not endorsing them but they do give you several different companies to get information from.

Before trying to decide what system you are about to install first determine what you want it to do. Some of the questions are:

* Do you want the system monitored by a professional “central station.”
* Check out the central stations that might monitor your system. Is it UL approved? Is it one person
or are there many persons on duty 24/7? Can they receive signals from the security system you are
to install. Some security systems will only call their particular monitoring station.
* Do you want video surviellance? If so is it important to have “night vision.”?
* Do you want to be able to access your system remotely anywhere?
* Do you want a DVR (ditital video recorder) that saves and records all happenings to be reviewed at
a later date?
* Is the system going to blend in with the decor of where it is to be installed?
* Do you need to get permission from a landlord or historic society before you can install it?
* Do you need to get a permit from a city or management group? Some cities require a permit and
can fine you heavily if the police or fire department are dispatched to your home and you do not
have your system registered with them.
* Is the system user friendly? If a system is hard to operate most likely you will never use it.
* Is there weather or temperature conditions to be met? Some components have to be housed in
weather housings to operate under certain conditions.
* What distances will the devices transmit their siganals to what ever receiver it is programed into?
* What height must a device be installed at? Too high of a ceiling or too far of a distance may mean
the device will not cover the area you want to secure.

Before installing your own system contact your local Police department. They will be glad to give all the information you will need.

15 Comments leave a comment
  1. Thanks for the article Alex. As you write, DIY home security is an option, just not always the best option. My biggest concern when someone starts talking about DIY security is what happens when something goes wrong? Who do they call? I think it can create a false sense of security for people.

Comment by Pamela � August 22, 2008 @ 6:21 am

2. Thank you very much for the article. I agree with your advice that it is a better to have an actual home security company install your system. Even if you are good with wiring and things like that, it is still very tricky to install a home security system yourself and if you don’t do it correctly, you lose the whole purpose of having a system in the first place. The best way to make sure that your home is protected at the level you want it to be is to install have a home security company that you can trust come out and install the system.

Comment by dpayne � August 22, 2008 @ 1:29 pm

3. […] post by Alex You can leave a response, or trackback from your own […]

Pingback by Security and BodyGuards » Blog Archive » Installing a defense System Yourself � August 27, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

4. It really2 safe and reliable as the technologies created to secure a home, office or building… these are some of explanation of why you should have no worries about home security systems.
    —–
    securityco-op.com

Comment by security � October 2, 2008 @ 10:35 pm

5. Im not sure. Ive been involved in home security for a long time and you need to be aware that systems fail after a number of years if not implemented correctly. thanks
    clif.

Comment by clif � October 7, 2008 @ 2:17 am

6. Thanks for the post, I think these are some great questions to get anyone thinking about the very best options they can pick for their home. It is now very possible to install a system yourself, since the technology is becoming far more user-friendly than it ever was! Especially with so many resources available for help, I would recommend that anyone with the time try to install their own system.

Comment by Secure24Seven � October 9, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

7. The alarm system was installed and had multiple equipment issues. I called the monitoring contractor, Monitronics several times for service and no service was every provided. I contacted First Defense, Inc. to describe the problems I was having with their security equipment. First Defense, Inc. stated they would send a service tech to my house; no service tech came to service my equipment. The faulty equipment at this point had resulted in over three false alarms with associated fees. I called the local police department to notify them that the alarm system was faulty and I was trying to resolve the issues with First Defense, Inc. I then contacted first defense again and notified them I no longer feel comfortable with their security system in my house, due to the lack of service and faulty equipment. I stated I wanted the equipment removed immediately from my house and the Alarm agreement to be voided due to First Defense Security, Inc. defaulting on providing me with service technicians and a functioning system. First Defense Security, Inc. finally removed the faulty equipment and I sent Monitronics a letter notifying them I was canceling my account. I recently received a phone a call from First Defense Security, Inc., which, I was told I would be responsible for paying the contract amount and would be sent to collection. I guess I am confused why I am responsible for paying out a contract when the company has defaulted in their commitment to providing me (their customers ) with the best available equipment, service and monitoring for their homes and businesses.

I want a functioning security system in my house and now that First Defense, Inc. is refusing to terminate the existing contract I can not sign another contract with another home security system provider. I am requesting First Defense, Inc. to terminate our existing security system agreement so that I can move-on and seek out a new home security system provider.

I need immediate action taken in order to get new security system in place for the protection of my home and family. Please understand, I attempted multiple times to correct the issues with the system and was given no response from First Defense, Inc.

Comment by Ty � October 20, 2008 @ 6:12 pm

8. nice post, thanks for sharing!

Comment by Dørtelefon � November 20, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

9. Having recently dyi security my self vs how much it would have cost me to have pro install it, i will have to disagree with your aticle. In total i spent around $750 on all the eqiupmen and took about 3-4 hours to install it(yes i was taking my time). It would cost me around $2100 to have same system installed by security firm. I also have a choice of what monitoring company I want to monitor instead of being forced in multi year contract at high price in addition to high price of the system. Basically, I don’t see reason why why let pro install the system when it’s so easy to do it your self.

Comment by Dmitriy � December 13, 2008 @ 4:14 pm

10. Nice article, installing the security system is fine, but what can we do when some one have stolen some thing from our house and the security system has caught, do we have to go to the cops with that, or do the installed persons will take care.

hawk

Comment by security service in south india � December 25, 2008 @ 11:23 pm

11. Very useful article. The benefit of doing any DIY job, including a home security system is not only the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but the fact that you know its done properly. I’m not saying the professional installers do a bad job, but by doing it yourself, you can spend that little bit longer on doing a nice job. However, dont attempt this unless you know what you are doing with electrics.
    The biggest benefit of course is the cost saving.

Comment by Home Security Guy � January 4, 2009 @ 12:55 pm

12. Thats a great article I can say as someone in the locksmiths industry. Still you dont want your insurance company to know you fitted our own system. At least not in Ireland.

Comment by robert � January 8, 2009 @ 6:54 am

13. I’m an owner of a security company and even we can’t get it right 100% of the time. Sometimes problems arise despite having 15 years of experience and sometimes products have issues. Plus, once you have it install you need to have it monitored or your just wasting your time. I also want to extend an apology to Ty for his experience with Monitronics. I am a Monitronics dealer and familiar with First Defense. A lot has changed for the good with Monitronics over the last 2 years especially in the service department. You should not have been treated that way. If you were my client I would have taken care of you. I guess it all comes down the the dealer.

Comment by Carl � October 6, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

14. Is not that easy, I suggest to call a professional locksmith. I’ve had lots of phone calls from customers not knowing what to do because they tried to install locks themselves.
    I believe it is worth the experience.

Comment by smith � December 1, 2010 @ 4:56 am

15. I think it is getting easier by the day for someone to install their own security systems, especially if they go wireless. If you are going to get one, make sure you will have good tech support first. If you are inexperienced you will need it.

Comment by Steve � April 14, 2011 @ 10:11 am