Home Security Blog.

So that long awaited vacation trip has now arrived. The whole family is excited to go on that cruise, tour that foriegn country or whattever your plans are. Preparing your home for this trip is as important as the trip itself. You will want to come home to the same home as you left it.

First, don’t broadcast your plans to anyone. Many people brag on their trip and you never know who might be listening, Tell the kids not to talk about it as well. Tell everyone about your trip when you get back. It will make a muh better story anyway.

Make your home look like someone is there.
Have a neighbor park his/her car in your driveway.
Have the lawn cut before you go. If need be, have it cut while you are gone.
Have the mail and news paper stopped or have it picked up by ssomeone.
Don’t hide a key to the house. Leave it with a neighbor or relative.
If you you use automatic lights have the kind that come on at different times. Not the same time everyday.
Unplug ALL electronic devices VcR’S, DVD Players , TV’s, Cable Boxes etc. They all have a circuit that is still active even if it is turned off.
Notify the police to watch over your property when they drive by. They would rather do that than fill out a burglary report.
If you have an alarm system, notify them what times you will be traveling and of course be sure you set the alarm before leaving.
Leave an itinerary with a neighbor or relative of where you will be staying and phone numbers that you can be contacted.
Have a list of all medications of family members and any medical needs they may have. List your doctor’s, your pharmacist’s, and at least one emergency contact person’s phone number.
Be sure you have all the necessary travel documents current. Pass ports and visa’s have and expiration date. Check with a travel agency or government office to see what documents you may need. Requirements change often so be sure ou have the latest and correct documents.
Some countrys require a special driver’s permit so don’t assume because you have a valid US driver’s license you can drive in that country.
Hope you have a great trip and take a lot of pictures. Oh yes, don’t forget the camera and film.

Posted on May 26th, 2009 at 04:00 by Alex Smith in PERSONAL SAFETY,Uncategorized - Comments (9)

9 Comments leave a comment
  1. Leaving your key near your house when you are gone is a bad idea for anyone is interested in protecting his or her house.

Comment by vagyonvédelem � May 29, 2009 @ 7:24 am

2. Thanks for these tips, I think it’s very important to make your home look like someone is there, because it gives everybody the feeling that the house is occupied and nobody can therefore get into it to steal anything.

Comment by Locksmith Dublin � June 2, 2009 @ 4:25 am

3. Speaking as someone in the business of security system monitoring, you are right on point to suggest notifying your monitoring company before you go on vacation. Many people forget to do this, but it can really help the people who are being paid to protect your home! Nice work, Alex.

Comment by Ben � June 10, 2009 @ 8:59 am

4. All great points. One additional point I would add is to not share your departure date on social network sites for public viewing.

In this day and age of twitter this and tweeple that keeping some things private is indeed a pretty good safety measure.

Jen

Comment by JT@Alarm System Deals � June 28, 2009 @ 12:48 pm

5. Great Advise! I always worry about people living around my home seeing me walk out of my front door with my bags, the wife, and the dog. I am sure they will see we are leaving for a long weekend. This may expose our house. Now I rely on CCTV and a alarm system.

Comment by Erik Mathinson � July 1, 2009 @ 8:45 pm

6. Don’t hide a key to the house. Leave it with a neighbor or relative.

Comment by Otis � September 1, 2009 @ 4:40 am

7. Today’s security systems will provide you with added control while on vacation by providing you with event notification to your cell phone and if a camera is installed real time video of your home. Other products are smoke alarms and water detection devices. These will prevent major damage form happening to your home while you are away.

Comment by James � October 6, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

8. I agree with James. One of the best and most effective ways to protect your home while on vacation is with a home security system. Remember, the system is only useful if you remember to turn it on!

Comment by Ronald � November 30, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

9. Thanks for all the great tips. I go crazy when I go on vacation. Always worried. But I just installed a surveillance system and now I can log onto my DVR and see what is going on at home. I also agree with your point – don’t broadcast your plans to anyone!

Comment by Erik � April 21, 2011 @ 5:25 pm