Home Security Blog.

Yes the weather is getting better. We all are looking for warmer weather and getting our yards resued from the winter throws.

As you know, the economy is still not the best. Many are still losing their jobs and not finding work.

I formed a lawn service business six years ago and I have noticed that because of the down economy many are supplementing because of their lost jobs by cutting grass. I have been seeing more and more trailers being hauled behind cars and pick-up trucks with lawn equipment on them. I’m not putting someone down for doing so, but I have heard some real war stories of people hiring these down and out people to be their lawn care person only to find several things missing from their property or being charged for work not done.

My recommendation before hiring a stranger to have access to your property is to have them supply referrals of others they have worked for. Also, ask if they have insurance. If they get injured on your property you could be facing a law suit.

If they insist on being paid only in cash, be aware. Be sure you have an understanding of what services they are to perform and for what price. It is best if you have this agreement in writing so that there will be no missunderstanding of additional charges after the job is completed.

Ask if you might contact some of their other customers if you feel uncomfortable.

Some communities require lawn services of any kind to be licensed by the town or community. This can be some assurance of the validity of the person you are about to hire.

I’m looking forward to this summer and I hope all of you will have the best ever.

7 Comments leave a comment
  1. This ring particularly true with me. As an owner of a home security company I just had one of my most prominent clients robbed by their new Nanny. Make sure you do a full background check on anyone who gains access to your property.

Comment by Mason � June 10, 2010 @ 9:34 am

2. This is so true! I have had things stolen from me by lawn care people. You feel like you are helping someone who is out of work, but they are so desperate that they will steal from you. The same thing happens with maids and nannys. Be careful with who you let into your home and on your property!

Comment by Richard � June 11, 2010 @ 10:03 am

3. Good points. Having everything in writing is always a given. And go with your gut instincts, if someone doesn’t seem on the up and up, keep looking for a gardener.

Comment by Mark � July 6, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

4. It is very important to ensure that the person you are inviting to your house is bona fide. Check some form of ID such as driver license or business ID card. As mentioned, also check out previous customers who will give a reference. If in any doubt don’t use them. I was a victim of a burgalry when the builders next door stole electrical goods and money, so you really need to be careful.

Comment by Ray � August 8, 2010 @ 2:27 am

5. I agree that it is important to ask for insurance and references when hiring a contractor. I want to add too not to forget to keep the bushes and shrubs around your windows trimmed to prevent burglars from having a hiding place to break into your home.

Comment by Karen � October 6, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

6. I always hire someone to trim my lawns regularly and I always make sure he is bona fide and has all the requirements like insurance and valid ID’s. It’s always important to me to feel secured at my own place especially if there’s a stranger doing some lawning at my yard. Or better yet if you can do it yourself then why hire someone else, right?

Comment by Locke � January 3, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

7. I have made it a habit to never hire people who solicit door to door to work on my house. From time to time I’ve had people knock on my door wanting to clean my gutters, paint my house, clean my carpets etc. While many of these people may be legit, it’s not worth the risk. Every single contractor I have ever hired has been through word of mouth from friends or family. Personal references are the best way to go.

Comment by Lou � May 1, 2011 @ 9:53 pm